Monday, October 15, 2012

Mandala/Zendala Playing

I love mandala's/zendala's!  I love making them from scratch and doing the pre-strung zendala tiles from Zentangle, Inc.  Sooooo, when I saw that Geneviève Crabe of Tangle Harmony fame announced her mandala stencils, I knew I had to give them a try.  I love these stencils!  As Geneviève explains, when making mandala's from scratch, you always need a ruler, compass, and protractor.  Then its on to drawing circles, angles, all that math stuff, ugh.  Well, Geneviève created these stencils with lines and circles of dots (at all the intersecting points) a half inch apart, and gives you 3 different stencils, each angled at different degrees.  The first mandala pictured is one I made with these stencils, and it was so cool to make a mandala without using any tools.  That's right, I didn't even use a ruler once!  This is really a cool tool if you love making mandala's from scratch.  Check it out at this link and watch her video:  http://www.amarylliscreations.com/zentangleharmony/shop/mandala-stencils/. 

The second zendala is one of the pre-strung zendala tiles that come in that wonderful tin, from Zentangle Inc.  I was in a Paradox mood when I did this one. 

Last but not least, I got my first set of Tombow markers!  I just got the very basic color set and I can see now that I will need to order more colors.  Keep in mind, I am just learning to work with color.  I tried using the indirect approach on the first one and got the colors too dark, so I added a white gel pen on top. I did the direct approach on the second for more vivid color.  I have a ways to go learning color, but I know this is going to be fun and like I tell my students with Zentangle....practice, practice, practice, it just keeps getting better! 



3 comments:

  1. Very nice! I love the colors in the first one. I have Genevieve's stencils but haven't yet had time to try them out. They are calling me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! These are sooooo lovely. I am going to order these ASAP! I had seen them but on Gen's site but could not visualize how to use them. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're enjoying the stencils. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete