Friday, September 24, 2010

Wooly Bugger



Fly fishing: My husband has always been a fisherman and I have fished with him on occasion, but never fly-fished. In the winter months (Jan-Mar) our church offers classes in a wide variety of interests as a way for people to get out of the house and meet others with similar interests. In Jan of 2009, I took a class on tying flies, which I really enjoyed and made a lot of flies that winter, much to my husband's delight. The Wooly Bugger is an easy fly to tie and one that can be used anywhere. When I expressed an interest in trying the sport of fly fishing my husband was thrilled and bought me a fly rod for Christmas. We just got back from a 10 day trip to Idaho where we spend a week with my 88 year old father-in-law, Kermit. We took him and his lady friend, Wanda on a 3 day trip to some wineries and had a wonderful time. Then we toured Yellowstone (always a favorite of ours) for 2 days and Grand Teton NP for a day. I fly fished for the 1st time and caught a brown trout on a fly (Wooly Bugger) that I tied! I have found a new sport that I love, and not just because I caught a fish, but I loved being out in the river, listening and seeing nature all around me. Also, I still made time to do a Zentangle whenever possible!

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind" Washington Irving

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not want to remove that so here it is again. I love to fly fish also, My husband made me a rod a few years ago. Wish we could go fishing more often. So much to do so little time. Love your tangle also; looking forward to seeing you in MA. in October.

    ReplyDelete