Friday, September 10, 2010

Procrastinate or Create?


I was recently discussing "The Power Of Now", by Eckhart Tolle with my sister and started to search thru my bookcase, when I came upon a book that I had forgotten about. I read this book probably 5-10 years ago and have been really happy to rediscover it because it is a timeless treasure. It is titled "Simple Abundance", by Sarah Ban Breathnach. The book is organized as a walk through the year, in which you read a page or two each day. The six principles of the book are: gratitude, simplicity, order, harmony, beauty, and joy. (All of the things I feel when creating a zentangle.) It is filled with wonderful quotes, and ideas on how to live a more authentic life. Good idea for a Christmas gift for yourself to start reading on Jan 1! The day in August that I found the book, the passage was all about the courage to create-hmmm. "Dare yourself to believe in your creativity, wherever it may lead you. Trust that where it leads is exactly where you are supposed to be. The word courage comes from the French word for heart, coeur. Your authentic self knows where you're headed. Don't wrestle with Spirit. Collaborate with it." A couple weeks later there was is a passage on procrastination and how it can rob us of personal pleasure. At the end of each month, she has a list of "joyful simplicities" that you can do. For August, one of the items was to treat yourself to a deluxe box of crayons or a wonderful set of colored pencils and create a poster that reads "If Not Now, Then When?" and hang it where you'll see it every day. Mine is in my spare bedroom, that I have converted into my "Zen Studio".

4 comments:

  1. Sue,
    I too read "Simple Abundance" many years ago and loved it so much that I just kept reading it year after year. I sent Sarah Ban Breathnach a note telling her how much I enjoyed it; she actually replied with a pretty postcard. I still have my copy and pull it out from time to time.
    I also LOVE Eckhart Tolle, so I will following your blog, because I believe we are on the same wave length and I want to see what you have to say.Happy blogging!
    Sincerely, pat
    PS Also love zentangle, and had pondered a class, but it is so far from Texas!$$$

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, procrastination is the word of the day today... This is the fifth mention of that word today for me. Hmmm I guess I better pay attention to that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat, I am glad that you enjoyed "Simple Abundance as much as I did, and still do, again! I will let you know about the Zentangle class. I understand it is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, I love your work. I've read the same book and you have inspired me to dig it out of my stash and re-read it. I always loved all the quotes in the book but I agree, the one that you came across that day is particularly wonderful (and one I really needed to read again). Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete