Friday, February 27, 2015

DIVA Challenge #206 Tools/Trade

This week the DIVA challenge is to try some new tools that you have never used before.  In preparation for a illuminated letter workshop I have coming up in April, I have been trying all kinds of gold pens.  After seeing CZT, Sharon Lynn Payne's beautiful work with gold, I had to inquire what she was using.  It's a Pearl Watercolor Metallic paint set that is made by Finetec. I ordered some last week and it came in yesterday!  The paint is all mica pigment and comes in a variety of iridescent colors, from several shades of gold, to silver, and many other colors.  You just mix it with a little water and paint it on.  I thought the results were beautiful, very shiny, even though the picture doesn't do it justice. I played with all the gold varieties and decided that this is going to work perfect for my workshop! While it is on the slightly expensive side, I found a good deal at merriartist.com. Another great tip from Sharon.  A little goes a long way, and it would last you a long time.  Thanks so much for sharing this info, Sharon! 

So, not to much in the way of tangling on my tile, but my new tool was really fun to play with!





7 comments:

  1. Love your letter s! The new toys are always fun and I am off to check them out, as gold I have found especially is a hard one to get so it shows nicely. The other colors, if they are the same look really good! Have fun with your upcoming class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, This looks great! The gold really looks like it is nice and has great coverage and color tone. I am off to take a look for it. This will be a wonderful piece to show off to your students. Your class sounds like a lot of fun. Wish I was closer so I would be able to take it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice lettering. How do you apply it? is it with a brush?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Donald. You mix it with a little water and apply it with a brush, just like watercolor paint.

      Delete
  4. Sue, I wish I lived closer so I could take your class. I have the opus tiles but about what size is the box around the actual letter? I'm going to try this on my own. Thanks

    ReplyDelete